Debbie Harry: A ’70s icon revealed
1. Debbie Harry, the lead singer of Blondie, is seen in this photo taken in the late ’70s by her bandmate and former lover, Chris Stein.
2. Harry and David Bowie backstage during a tour in 1977.
3. Harry reads the British tabloid The Sun. Harry and Stein broke up years ago, but they’re still friends and still touring with Blondie.
4. Harry in a vintage motorcycle jacket, circa 1976. In the new book, Harry says Stein’s photos of her are “the most real and unguarded and ultimately revealing.”
5. Harry sits in a car in Los Angeles for a “Plastic Letters” outtake, circa 1977.
She gazes at the camera with feral, wide-set eyes, framed by pouty lips and bleached blond hair — a face that helped sell 40 million records.
As a rock star and global icon, Debbie Harry has been photographed thousands of times. But never quite like this: in spare, intimate portraits, many of them taken in dingy apartments and clubs before she was famous.
“It was casual. There wasn’t much setup or manipulation (of the photos),” said Chris Stein, her Blondie bandmate and former lover who took the photos. “We were together all the time anyway.”
Read more on CNN